Los Angeles, CA – The Cinema Audio Society Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing Motion Picture – Live Action was presented to the sound mixing team from “Dunkirk” of Mark Weingarten CAS, Gregg Landaker, Gary Rizzo CAS, Alan Meyerson CAS, Thomas J. O’Connell and Scott Curtis.
Top honors for Motion Picture – Animated went to “Coco” and the sound mixing team of Vince Caro, Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Joel Iwataki and Blake Collins.
This year the CAS Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing Motion Picture – Documentary went to “Jane” and the team of Lee Smith, David E. Fluhr CAS, Warren Shaw, Derek Lee, Chris Navarro CAS and Ryan Maguire.
Held in the Bunker Hill Ballroom of the OMNI Los Angeles Hotel at California Plaza Title Sponsor Dolby also hosted the Pre-party Reception and the after party was hosted by Smart Post Sound. Hosted by comedian Michael Kosta, the 54th CAS Awards also celebrated the professional contributions of Re-recording Mixer Anna Behlmer by honoring her with the CAS Career Achievement Award. Behlmer’s award was presented with passion and heart by
Re-recording mixer Chris Jenkins CAS, director Niki Caro and producer Paula Wagner. Behlmer is the first woman to receive the CAS Career Achievement Honor.
The first Edward J. Greene Award for the Advancement of Sound was presented to Tomlinson Holman CAS creator of THX by Sam Greene, Jeff Wexler, CAS and director Andrew Davis. George Lucas and John Singleton sent special video messages congratulating Tom.
Joe Wright (Darkest Hour) received the CAS Filmmaker Award in a presentation that included remarks by production sound mixer Craig Berkey CAS, director Edgar Wright (Baby Driver). And Oscar nominated actor Gary Oldman. Wright joins an impressive list of previous CAS Filmmakers Honorees including: Jon Favreau, Jay Roach, Quentin Tarantino, Gil Cates, Bill Condon, Paul Mazursky, Henry Selick, Taylor Hackford, Rob Marshall, Jonathan Demme, Edward Zwick, Richard Linklater and Jay Roach.
The Sound Mixing team of “Black Mirror: USS Callister” took top honors for Television Movie or Mini-Series. Television-One Hour honors went to “Game of Thrones: Beyond the Wall”, while “Silicon Valley, Episode 9 ‘Holli-Con’” won the award for Television Series-Half Hour. “Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge!” won for Television Non-Fiction, Variety or Music Series or Specials.
Xiang Li a student at Chapman University, Orange, CA was awarded the CAS Student Recognition Award and presented with a check for $2500. The CAS Student Recognition Award is enthusiastically supported by both IMAX and Avid Technology.
The CAS Outstanding Product Awards for 2017 were presented to Sound Devices for their Mix Pre-10T Recorder for Production and iZotope for their RX 6 Advanced for Post-Production.
Celebrity presenters for the evening were: Bryan Fogel (ICARUS). Diane Warren (Oscar-nominated Songwriter), Jaleel White (Family Matters, Sonic the Hedgehog), Larry Thomas (Seinfeld), Emma Kenney (Shameless, Roseanne), Donavan W. Carter (Ballers), Pollyanna McIntosh (The Walking Dead).
The Cinema Audio Society thanks the 54th CAS Awards Sponsors:
Title Sponsor and Pre-Party Host – Dolby Laboratories, Double Platinum Level – Netflix, Platinum Level – 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight, NBC Universal Operations, Double Gold Level – Technicolor, Gold Level – HBO, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services, Double Silver Level – Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, Silver Level – Formosa Group, Fox Studios Production Services, IATSE Local 700 Motion Picture Editors Guild, National Geographic Channel, Showtime Network Student Recognition Award Sponsors – Avid and IMAX, After-party Sponsor – Smart Post Sound.
The Cinema Audio Society, a philanthropic, non-profit organization, was formed in 1964 for the purpose of sharing information with Sound Professionals in the Motion Picture and Television Industry.
THE 54th CAS AWARDS FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING and OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS FOR 2017
MOTION PICTURE – LIVE ACTION
- Production Mixer – Mark Weingarten, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Gregg Landaker
- Re-recording Mixer – Gary Rizzo, CAS
- Scoring Mixer – Alan Meyerson, CAS
- ADR Mixer – Thomas J. O’Connell
- Foley Mixer – Scott Curtis
- Original Dialogue Mixer – Vince Caro
- Re-recording Mixer – Christopher Boyes
- Re-recording Mixer – Michael Semanick
- Scoring Mixer – Joel Iwataki
- Foley Mixer – Blake Collins
- Production Mixer – Lee Smith
- Re-recording Mixer – David E. Fluhr, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Warren Shaw
- Scoring Mixer – Derek Lee
- ADR Mixer – Chris Navarro, CAS
- Foley Mixer – Ryan Maguire
TELEVISION MOVIE or MINI-SERIES
Black Mirror: USS Callister
- Production Mixer – John Rodda, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Tim Cavagin
- Re-recording Mixer – Dafydd Archard
- Re-recording Mixer – William Miller
- ADR Mixer – Nick Baldock
- Foley Mixer – Sophia Hardman
TELEVISION SERIES – 1 HOUR
Game of Thrones: Beyond the Wall
- Production Mixer – Ronan Hill, CAS
- Production Mixer – Richard Dyer, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Onnalee Blank, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Mathew Waters, CAS
- Foley Mixer – Brett Voss, CAS
TELEVISION SERIES – 1/2 HOUR
Silicon Valley: Episode 9 ‘Hooli-Con’
- Production Mixer – Benjamin A. Patrick, CAS
- Re-recording Mixer – Elmo Ponsdomenech
- Re-recording Mixer – Todd Beckett
TELEVISION NON-FICTION, VARIETY or MUSIC SERIES or SPECIALS
Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge
- Production Mixer – David Hocs
- Production Mixer – Tom Tierney
- Re-Recording Mixer – Tom Fleischman, CAS
OUTSTANDING PRODUCT – PRODUCTION
Mix Pre- 10T Recorder
- Manufacturer: Sound Devices
OUTSTANDING PRODUCT – POST-PRODUCTION
RX 6 Advanced
- Manufacturer: iZotope, Inc.
STUDENT RECOGNITION AWARD
Xing Li, Chapman University – Orange, CA